Readings, Performances and Stuff




Saw people reading these books recently on the light rail:

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Carmelo by Sandra Cisneros

Their Eyes Were Watching God
by Zora Neale Hurston

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves
by Karen Russell (okay, that's me)

And here are a few events coming up in the Phoenix and Tucson area:

October 7: Mark Anthony Neal and Celine Parrenas Shimizu will speak about gender, race and justice from 12:30-2:30 in the Carson Ballroom, Old Main at ASU

October 8: Leslie Marmon Silko reads at the Heard Museum, Phoenix, at 7 p.m.

October 14: Kimiko Hahn reads in ASU's Memorial Union, Room 241A at 7:30 p.m., Tempe

October 15-18: "A Tribute to Donny Hathaway" a play based on poems by Ed Pavlice and performed by Black Poet Ventures at Playhouse on the Park in Phoenix.

October 16: Sherman Alexie reads at Heard Museum in Phoenix, 6 p.m.

October 16: "Fall into Poetry" reading featuring Gina Franco, Andrea Gibson, and Brian Turner at 2020 E. 4th St. in Tucson, 6 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. What do you think of the Russell book, Renee? I can see why it got attention...but for the most part, I put her in the same category as Miranda July: quirky...but perhaps too much so. I remember vaguely that I read those stories~ and only because they were "interesting," and not because they ripped my guts out, or I walked through piles of leaves, haunted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like each story by itself, but as a collection it starts to feel a bit like shtick. I love the fantastic though and appreciate the book for that reason.

    Hey, I want to walk through piles of leaves, haunted! I'm trying to remember the author of the last story that made me feel that way...I can't remember the writer's name, isn't that awful?

    ReplyDelete