Princesses and Writing in Second Grade



When I met with my seven-year old's teacher last fall, she told me that it was common for second graders to misspell words that they actually know how to spell. She said that this was a common phenomenon, and that it straightens itself out through repetition. In other words, little people have to write the same words over and over again in sentences before they remember the correct spelling. I found this interesting because Ava gets 100% on all of her spelling tests and she reads constantly, but when she writes a longer piece, like a paragraph, there are usually a couple of misspellings.  Interesting to think about how the mind works when we are writing.

More frustrating for me is this princess thing she's been on for a couple years. I suppose she'll outgrow this as well. I'll try not to be a grouch until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment